1620 w 18th Street Chicago, IL 60608
VA banner
schedule a free consultation: 312-666-9982
Speeding and Aggravated Speeding
Speeding tickets may seem like simply a nuisance, but they can have serious consequences including up to a year in jail and driver's license revocation.

You can be charged with speeding under 625 ILCS 11/601. Speeding under this section is a petty offense, punishable by fine only, no jail time is possible. You DO NOT have to be driving faster than the speed limit to get a ticket under this section. An officer may cite you driving too fast for conditions, which means that you were driving too fast when taking into account all the circumstances such as if it was raining or snowing very badly or if the roadway was icy. Given those circumstances, an officer can say that someone was driving slower than the speed limit, but was still too fast. Fighting this kind of ticket usually means attacking the officer's judgment in a number of ways like showing that everyone else was driving the same speed, the driver was driving the same speed as the officer, or that the weather was not as bad as the officer claimed.

Of course, you may also get a speeding ticket for driving between 1 and 25 miles per hour over the speed limit. To prove this, the officer show how he knew that you were driving in this range. An officer may claim that he used radar, paced your vehicle, or that he used his training and experience to recognize that you were driving over the limit.

You may be tempted to pay this ticket by mail or show up in court and accept a conviction so you can just pay a fine. While you may dispose of your case quickly like this, it will subject you to other consequences. when you simply pay a speeding ticket by mail or accept a conviction for a fine, the Secretary of State will enter a "conviction" on your driving record. For every speeding ticket conviction, the Secretary of State assigns points to your license. If you receive 3 moving violations (including speeding tickets) in a period of 12 months, the Secretary of State will suspend or revoke your license. The length of your suspension depends on the number of points you have assigned to your license. Read more about the Secretary of State's points system here.

An experienced attorney can negotiate with the prosecutor so that you do not get a conviction for speeding. In some circumstances, we can also vacate speeding convictions so that we can get them off your record and negotiate a better outcome.

Aggravated Speeding
Aggravated speeding is a criminal offense and is broken into 2 parts:

625 ILCS 11/601.5 (a): driving 26 but less than 35 miles per hour over the speed limit
A conviction under this section is a class B misdemeanor, punishable by up to 6 months in jail and a fine of up to $1,500. Know that if you get a ticket under this section, you will get a court date and you will be required to have an attorney. If you show up without an attorney, the judge will give you another court date so you can hire counsel. The best strategy is to show up on the first court date with an attorney so you can dispose of your case on the first date. An experienced attorney can evaluate the case for weaknesses to fight it, if possible. If there is no way to fight it, we can negotiate with the prosecutor to reduce the charge and get a better result.

625 ILCS 11/601.5 (b): driving 35 or more miles per hour over the limit.
A conviction under this section is a class A misdemeanor, punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $2,500. As with section (a), if you get a ticket under this section, you will need to hire an attorney. Our experienced attorneys can evaluate your case and determine if we can fight it or negotiate to reduce it. Whatever the case, we will do whatever we can to avoid a criminal conviction for speeding.

Reckless Driving
In some cases, you may be cited for reckless driving if you were speeding. Read more about reckless driving here.