1620 w 18th Street Chicago, IL 60608
VA banner
schedule a free consultation: 312-666-9982
Temporary Visitor's Driver's License


Now Accepting Applications

The Illinois Secretary of State is now offerring temporary driver's licenses (TVDL) to undocumented immigrants in Illinois. These driver's licenses will be valid for 3 years from the date of issuance. After 3 years, holders of TVDL's cannot simply renew the license. Instead they will need to reapply and resubmit all applicable documents. These driver's licenses will only be used for driving purposes and drivers who have them will be able to comply with Illinois' requirement that all drivers have insurance. Drivers using a TVDL who do not comply will lose thier TVDL.

Who Can Apply

Immigrants that cannot obtain a United States social security card but who do have identification documents from thier home country.

When and How Apply

Starting November 12, 2013, the state of Illinois began its pilot phase of the program. During this phase, applicants need to schedule an appointment at one of four Secretary of State locations. Applicants can make appointments on the Secretary of State's Website, www.cyberdriveillinois.com or by calling (855) 236 - 1155.

In mid-December, the Secretary of State will start scheduling appointments in 32 more Secretary of State facilities for the month of January.

What You Need to Apply

People interested in applying can find information about the program and about required documents here: http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/drivers/TVDL/home.html

In short, applicants need to provide:

  • Name and Date of Birth: 1 Document
  • Written Signature: 1 Document
  • Current Address: 2 Documents
  • Proof of 12 Months of Residency in Illinois: 1 Document
  • Proof of Name Change: 1 Document only if the applicant's name is different from the name on their foreign passport or consular card

Villalobos and Associates can help individuals prepare and collect all the necessary documents once the Secretary of State releases the information. In the meantime, Villalobos and Associates can help you obtain the necessary documents from your home country and also to prove residency. Individuals will also be required to pass vision and written and road driving tests. The Secretary of State will charge a $30 fee for the TVDL.